What is stress?
Stress is a word that lots of people use when they feel like things are getting too much to deal with. Stress is different for everyone. Some people find moving house stressful, this might not be a problem for others. Most people feel stress at some time in their lives. Stress can make you feel very poorly. You should get some help to make things better.
How you might feel if you are stressed
Stress can affect how you feel and how you behave.
You might feel:
- Worried, nervous or tense.
- Down, or depressed.
- Irritable or angry.
- Unable to control your temper.
- Tired or not wanting to do anything or go anywhere.
Your body might feel different:
- You might get headaches or feel dizzy.
- You might sweat.
- Your heart might beat faster.
- You might get pains in your stomach.
- You might get pain in your muscles.
- You might think you might find it harder to breathe.
You might behave differently:
- You might get angry at people.
- You might start drinking or smoking more than normal.
- You might not want to eat much, or eat too much.
- You might have problems sleeping.
If you have some of these things, you might be feeling stressed.
Why do people feel stressed?
Lots of things that happen in your life can make you feel stressed.
- Someone close to you dying.
- A relationship ending.
- Losing your job or starting a new job.
- Having a lot of changes happening.
- Having health problems.
- Worrying about money.
- Moving house.
- Arguing with your friends or family.
There are lots of things you can try to help you feel less stressed
- Talk to people about how you are feeling.
- Try to think about good things that you like.
- Eat well.
- Plan your time, do one thing at a time and remember to take breaks.
- Relax – take time to enjoy yourself.
- Talk to your doctor, if these things don’t work.
- Have a holiday if you can.