Being in lockdown with my children I am constantly on the lookout for new ways to connect to the outside world. We discovered some interesting virtual walks around Venice and Hollywood, then thought where else could we go?
The next day a colleague sent some links to a few museums and suggested adding an ‘I Spy Trail’ (where you find 26 objects during your virtual tour beginning with all the letters of the alphabet) as a fun challenge.
Whether you are isolating or social distancing virtual tours are a great way to bring the world into your own home and support your wellbeing.
There are a wide variety of free apps, YouTube channels and live web cams for your mobile, tablet or computer.
We’ve tried a few and would like to share them with you…
- Earth cam takes you up, above Niagara falls:
- Walk the Great Wall of China from your armchair:
- The national trust invites you to explore some of its gardens
- Catch a ride on the international space station through their app ‘ISS Live Now’
Art, Museums and Music
Take a virtual stroll around some of the world’s most famous museums, galleries and monuments…
- Smithsonian Natural History Museum
- The British Museum has a selection of options to view their exhibitions.
- The Google arts and culture page has links for accessing a variety of famous cultural places and art exhibitions:
- Buckingham Palace
- Classic FM have a list of live streamed classical music events
Many zoos provide virtual tours and some have live webcam’s so you can watch their animal antics Live! Take a walk on the wild side and visit…
With thanks to Claire Thorpe, Specialist OT for the I Spy inspiration!
Mum, carer and Occupational Therapist.