Dealing with grief and loss can be a painful experience, but there are a number of things you can do to try to help yourself.
Firstly, remember that the process of grief is different for everyone and there is no set length of time that it will take to “feel better” or feel like you are able to move on.
- Speak to people and accept help and support.
- Establish a routine, try and gradually restart the things you were doing before your loss.
- Keep active – exercise releases “feel good hormones”. Walking and running are great forms of exercise.
- Make contact with people and keep in touch with them. Connecting with other people can ease any feeling of isolation.
- Talking with someone you trust can be better than keeping things to yourself.
- Use a diary to write down your feelings.
- Remember you are not alone. You could join a support group, or you could draw comfort from your faith.
- If you can, get some rest – sleep helps us to recharge and go again, it also helps us to come to terms with loss.
- Look after your physical health.